KW153 ISSUE

Technical assistance and general Q&A about QSC's loudspeaker products. These include AcousticDesign and ISIS non-powered loudspeaker systems, as well as the HPR, K, and KW Series powered loudspeakers.

Moderators: Kirk Fyvie, Cameron Shoffner, Bob Lee, Martin Barbour, Christian Cook, Fred Thomke, Sam Hynds

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am

• Hi,

I have a pair of your QSC KW153 speakers, paired with the Bins and i am having some problems with them. When i am using the speakers KW153 with the bins i have them set to EXT-SUB. This sounds great but on certain tracks I'm playing at volume i am hearing a distorted sound which seems to come from the mid-range. It also seems to happen when i use the microphone also

This is not a problem i have heard before but does concern me. The speakers are never used in a clipping state so not driven hard. They are used for Dj work so northing heavy. I first heard this sound when i played a song by 'the contours - do you love me' from the film dirty dancing. In the song when it does like a chorus part of a drum being hit about 7-10 times per second, it seems like the mid range driver breaks up.

The speakers i brought around 10 months ago now. I did have an issue with them previously where one of the top speakers made a very loud sound, like a needle being pulled across vinyl, and then all the power went as the speker manage to trip a 32amp supply. The speaker was repaired but i have concerns of something similar happening again which gives me doubts about the products.

I have thought about buying a pair of the kw152 cabs to cut out the mid-range driver, would this help or should it not happen full stop?
    I hope you can shed some light on this issue I'm having with the distorted sound. Its very similar.
    strobedisco
    Rookie

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm

• Hi strobedisco,

We're sorry for the problems you're having, and we'd like very much to discover the nature and cause of them. Can you describe the rest of your system feeding signal to the loudspeakers, and which inputs you're using on the KW153s? And where are you located? Thanks.
    Bob Lee
    Applications Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Past Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am

• Hi Bob,

I am located in the UK, East Anglia region.

I drive the spekeers by a pioneer CDJ into a Pioneer Mixer, outputs via XLR to a graphic EQ, then out into the spekers via XLR leads.

The graphic is set ok, the signal im putting out does not seem to be huge as the LED signal lights are always on green, never go into amber or Red.

The speker with the problem is serial number : 031102639.

The spekaer that stopped working was repaired, but i dont know what the fault was, serial number : 031102600

I hope this helps?
    strobedisco
    Rookie

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm

• OK, thanks. Can you try an experiment for me?

Do you have an XLR-female-to-XLR-female cable, or perhaps even a Y cable with two XLR female ends (like in this pic)?

If so, I'd like to ask you to try using it to put the signal into the KW153, though not through the female combo (XLR+1/4") jack on the top, but through the XLR male jack right underneath it instead (it's just a straight pass-through connection between them). I'd like to find out if something within the combo connector itself is causing your problems. If the problem goes away, then we can focus on the combo connector and we will also know of a quick workaround. Thanks.
    Bob Lee
    Applications Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, LLC
    Past Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
    "If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington
    Bob Lee
    QSC Audio Products

Return to Loudspeakers

Information