Audio peak reading meter

This is the place to ask about upgrades and add-ons for your QSC system.

Moderators: Kirk Fyvie, Cameron Shoffner, Martin Barbour, Thanh Nguyen, Christian Cook, Fred Thomke

Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 pm

• I've been looking for an audio peak reading meter, preferably with LED indicators and with peak hold, but without success.
    does anyone know about this?
    Gellidius
    Rookie

Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 pm

• One of the best and most accurate peak and "Loudness" meter is made by Dorrough. http://www.dorrough.com/index.html

It sells for $600 to $800 if my memory serves me. A google search for Dorrough Loudness Monitor will get you to some vendors. The human ear can be injured by peaks but our general sense of how loud a system is playing is more of an averaging sense. The difference between how average and peak can vary greatly with program material.

Here is a link to a YouTube video demonstrating its' operation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ch70_x6MEM

If you are using our Basis hardware/software or Q-Sys system, you can monitor the peak levels on a computer.

Some of our amplifiers have peak reading meters and our clip indicators react to peak levels.
    Joe Etrick
    Joe Etrick
    Magnum

Thu May 12, 2011 5:16 am

• Exactly what i want.

Thank you.
    Gellidius
    Rookie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am

• is there any companies that make VU style watt meters which gives you the watts being sent to the speakers, in a vu style rapid movement meter. similiar to the Mcintosh meters and the like? radio shack used to make these in the early 80's but since stopped. had nice meters on my old onkyo m-504 amp, but blew that one up. any help would be great. thank you!!

R
    Family, Hockey, SIngle Malt Scotch, Good friends, Heavy Metal, What else is there?
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 am

• i owned the RS power meter in the 80s; it was not peak reading.

at the time, i had an oscilloscope to monitor peaks and when i compared with what the RS meter showed, the difference could be enormous, depending on the frequency or time duration of a signal; i don't know if it was giving VU readings or what; surely not peak readings.

i think that VU readings, or any kind of averaging meters, are not useful in home systems. They can give a good show though.

i did not find it useful and gave it to a friend.
    Gellidius
    Rookie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

• Gellidius wrote:i owned the RS power meter in the 80s; it was not peak reading.

at the time, i had an oscilloscope to monitor peaks and when i compared with what the RS meter showed, the difference could be enormous, depending on the frequency or time duration of a signal; i don't know if it was giving VU readings or what; surely not peak readings.

i think that VU readings, or any kind of averaging meters, are not useful in home systems. They can give a good show though.

i did not find it useful and gave it to a friend.

this is what i want em for, they look cool!!!! cant find any of them anywhere. wish mcintosh would sell some, they would make a killing on the meters, like a small component buut high enough and in their trademark blue, would by in a second!! guess im stuck buyuing the old radio shack realistic version somewhere....they look nice, vu meters and led lights, up to 200 w. the search begins.................
    Family, Hockey, SIngle Malt Scotch, Good friends, Heavy Metal, What else is there?
    arctikdeth
    Compression driver

Return to Accessories

Information